NS FL2 CARS passage 1

Amber9

NS FL2 CARS passage 1

Post by Amber9 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi,

Q2 I thought the internet promoted radicalization on a mass scale and answer C looked the closest to that passage idea. Can I get some clarification on where the author mentions the idea of human tendency in the passage?

Q3 the answer states adhering strictly whereas the author mentions rejecting the social status quo? What am I missing in getting to the answer?

Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: NS FL2 CARS passage 1

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Amber9 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:21 pm
Hi,

Q2 I thought the internet promoted radicalization on a mass scale and answer C looked the closest to that passage idea. Can I get some clarification on where the author mentions the idea of human tendency in the passage?
End of paragraph #1:
"Instead, it serves to accelerate people’s natural tendencies to sort themselves into homophilous groups.People seek out those with religious views similar to their own, at which point group polarization pushes individuals to increasingly radical views."

The 'natural tendency' that the author is describing is that of humans to associate with others like them (homophily).

Be careful with phrasing like 'promotes radicalization on a mass scale' - the author goes out of his way to call this 'individual radicalization on a mass scale', meaning large numbers of isolated individuals being radicalized. But more importantly, in the context of this question, the author argues that the internet has promoted radicalization because it allows like-minded people to find each other, and accelerates the process of homophilous sorting - or of people forming groups with only similar people.

(Sorry for not elaborating on this at first, I was a little focused on the "Where does it say...?" portion)
Q3 the answer states adhering strictly whereas the author mentions rejecting the social status quo? What am I missing in getting to the answer?

Thanks!
The author outlines their view of what makes up a radical doctrine in paragraph #1:
"Radicalization is fundamentally a process by which an individual comes to reject the social status quo and to reject modern notions of freedom of choice. By falling into a radical group, most commonly religiously oriented, a person gets stuck in a sociological trap. Being locked out of normal participation in the globalized economy, a radicalized individual cannot meet basic material, social, or psychological needs outside of the radical group"

So, in short:
- Reject status quo
- No freedom of choice
- Dependent on the radical group

All the other options only meet one or two of the criteria presented, while C meets all three.