Psych/Soc QBank 1: question 12

Griffingbryant

Psych/Soc QBank 1: question 12

Post by Griffingbryant » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi Next Step Team,

Please see that attached photo of question 12 of the Psych/Soc QBank 1. I believe this answer is incorrect. According to your Content Book on page 38, "The inferior colliculus works with both the eyes and ears for what is called, the vestibulo-ocular reflex, helping to keep the eyes fixed on a single point in space while the head rotates."

II. should be wrong and only III. should be correct. Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 11.56.09 AM.png
(191.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: Psych/Soc QBank 1: question 12

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:37 pm

The question and explanation are correct, and the book is out of date here. As a rule, remember that 'reflexive' visual control (startle, orientation etc.) is mediated by the superior colliculi (plural since there are two of each superior & inferior) and the auditory analogues to this (again, startle, orientation etc. - do NOT worry about all possible functions) are mediated by the inferior colliculi.

I'm happy you caught this and brought this to our attention, and this has already been rectified in the current print edition of our books. I'm more than happy to resolve these kinds of ambiguities in the future, if you catch anything else that seems suspect in any material at all! In a pinch, our online material should be on top of things at all times - but again, call out anything you see as suspect at all. Sometimes the problem is more subtle than here.