Psych

hussein.85

Psych

Post by hussein.85 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Psychology Chapter 1 Practice Passage Q5 Pg 21:

I got this question wrong because I missed the part where the passage mentions the temporal lobe. So I know that the temporal lobe is where auditory is processed and it is involved in processing sense information to produce memory. But I don't understand how that also includes the visuospatial tasks mentioned in the question. Whereas the passage mentions that the right PFC cortex controls the visuospatial information.

If anyone can explain the answer I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: Psych

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:43 pm

The answer key states that damage to the right PFC, not the temporal lobe, is the most likely cause of poor visuospatial performance. This is the same structure that inhibits impulsive behavior. Perhaps you just misread the key ?
hussein.85

Post by hussein.85 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:02 pm

Yes I did! The question I missed is actually question 3 and the explanation for this questioned mentioned that damage to the temporal lobe can lead to problems with aggression. Why is that?

Thanks again!
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:26 am

Near the end of the passage, damage to the amygdala, a structure within the temporal lobe, can also cause aggression. And epilepsy can cause damage to the temporal lobe.

This is sneaky though, it is very close to the end of the passage.