Note taking in NS books

bhillbilly

Note taking in NS books

Post by bhillbilly » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:46 pm

I take detailed handwritten notes when I read through the NS books. At the end of the chapters I see there is an overview for making study sheets (which I do), however there is often an immense amount of leftover details within the chapter that are important to know. My notes are too detailed, less organized, and more time consuming to create when I include almost everything I read. All of this leads to my ultimate question...and I know this may sound dumb...but HONESTLY...how am I supposed to remember content if I read it one time in the book, but didn't write it down on a study sheet? ****2 weeks later**** takes full length--->I don't know content that I feel like I should know at this point....however it wasn't important enough at the time of content review to record on a study sheet.

Anyone advice is appreciated!!
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: Note taking in NS books

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:54 am

So the most popular strategies to strengthen recall are pretty straight-forward:
1. Spaced repetition, through flashcard programs like Anki
2. Synthesis. Close the book and write down a summary on a topic, or explain it to somebody in detail.
3. Practice. Immediately apply what you learned to problems.

In essence, anything that you've used a fair amount of times will be comparatively easy to recall. For equations and the likes, it can be helpful to use spaced-repetition methods and other tricks to have a handful of readily available tools at your disposal.

This also why usually book "reading" is best done as a process of extracting information you want, and skipping a fair few things you might be familiar with (or simply reading those things without note-taking). Also as a word of caution: Students like to just extract key words and phrases into their notes when note-taking, and this is in my experience not very useful. This is a great way to take notes for a conversation, or a to-do list - but complex content relies entirely on you engaging with it by putting it in your own words, conceptualizing it yourself and ideally putting it to use.