AAMC test 3 p/s #52

sarita0518

AAMC test 3 p/s #52

Post by sarita0518 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Can you give an example for role conflict and role strain. I keep swapping these definitions up, do you have a nemonic or easy way to remember these terms ?
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: AAMC test 3 p/s #52

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Tue May 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Role strain happens within a role, when the demands of that role conflict with each other. Like if being a doctor means being attentive to patients but also seeing 20 of them a day. That's going to cause a lot of strain!

Role conflict happens between two different roles. Like trying to work for the fossil fuel industry while also being in charge of protecting the environment. Those two things are clearly in conflict with each other.

By analogy, strain is a property that causes a single object to break under sustained forces. And conflict is just when two people or things don't get along.
sarita0518

Post by sarita0518 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:31 pm

thank you! for the AAMC test 3 p/s #52 question, I thought it was role conflict because the parents where dealing with issues with taking care of child (parental role) and meeting their own needs as an individual. How is this role strain?
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Thu May 16, 2019 12:52 am

As far as the AAMC is concerned, if it's not a vocation or otherwise formalized, it is not a role. So simply staying alive, healthy and fed is part of the role of parenting itself - you've got to maintain yourself to parent your kid. I wasn't the greatest fan of this the first time around, but it helps to realize that is how the AAMC defines roles. On the bright side, you can apply this categorization fairly consistently and therefore don't have to worry whether for example different tasks that are part of being a physician constitute different roles - they're part of the same job, so they would be considered role strain.