Applications

dtufano

Applications

Post by dtufano » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi! I have a question regarding applications. I'm a nontraditional premed and I don't really know how the process works. I will be taking the MCAT in April and hope to be finished will all my applications by the end of the summer. I wanted to know if there is anything I am supposed to do application wise before they actually open? I'm not talking about extracurricular opportunities, I mean is there literally anything on the application that you can prepare for BEFORE they open up? I don't want to waste time now when I could be preparing things and end up falling behind when the application opens. Also, if there is any other general application information that you can provide, please do. Thanks for the help!
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: Applications

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 am

Hi! I am a non-trad student myself and currently applying, so I can try to shed some light on the process. That said, I'm not a pre-med advisor and you may find it helpful to speak to someone who does this professionally. Despite not being pre-med in college, the pre-med advisor at my undergraduate institution was willing to help me out, so you may find it helpful to reach out to that person for a conversation.

Right now the 2020 application cycle hasn't begun and the application is not available. At some point in the next few months, they'll release it and you can start filling it out. It's a lot of busy work: filling in transcripts, demographic information, school list, etc. You'll also have to write an essay -- you could always get started on that early. If I were to do it again, I'd definitely work on my essay early and I'd also start on a school list earlier than I did.

An often repeated piece of advice is to submit stuff as early as you can. That's a good policy, but you definitely want to be sure that what you are submitting is as good as it can be. So start early, revise often, and submit once you feel confident and comfortable with your materials. I believe submission opens in the first week of June, so having everything ready to go by then is a great idea! I'd get started right after you take the MCAT if I were you. That should still leave you plenty of time and flexibility.

Again, though, there are people way more qualified than me who can give you great advice. I'd reach out to some of those people and see what they have to say. Applying to medical school is a daunting task, but I found it to be pretty tolerable as long as I stayed on top of everything and gave myself plenty of time!
dtufano

Post by dtufano » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks so much, Will! This is very helpful. Luckily, my undergraduate institution has a pre-health advising committee that I have been using as a resource, but sometimes I feel bad pestering them with all of my questions :D. I have been putting together a spreadsheet of schools and information on them, so I'm glad that I'm doing something right! But it's also good to hear that there isn't too much that can be done right now, so I don't feel as if I'm falling behind anyone. Thanks again for the help, and good luck to you!
NS_Tutor_Will

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Thank you! And same to you!