Sending a Letter of Recommendation After Submitting App

melissama10

Sending a Letter of Recommendation After Submitting App

Post by melissama10 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:40 am

Hello,

I plan to submit my AMCAS application at the beginning of June and I have a question about submitting a letter of recommendation later..

I am shadowing a doctor mid-May which will give me about 2 weeks to get a letter of recommendation from him, he already offered to write me one. But I was wondering if I send my app in, and shadow this doctor for a longer period of time to get a better quality letter, then send the letter later if it would affect my "place in line" in the rolling admissions? Also, I am interviewing for a medical assistant/scribe job that I could also possibly get a quality letter from, and if I used that letter it instead of the shadowing letter it may be a better fit for application... basically, if I send a letter of rec after sending my app would it affect my application overall?
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: Sending a Letter of Recommendation After Submitting App

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:36 am

I am not an admissions advisor, but I did just go through the process. I recall that you can edit letters of rec or add letters or rec and it won't change your spot. That being said, you may be able to actually submit that this person will be sending a letter and they can process with or without that letter. Then, the letter will just get added to the file once it's received. It's really only the schools who look at LoR, too, so the dates shouldn't be a problem.

I'd check with your pre-med advisor to be positive, but that's what I recall from the process.

Good luck with your application!
melissama10

Re: Sending a Letter of Recommendation After Submitting App

Post by melissama10 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:18 pm

Thank you for your help!!