Submitting Application prior to MCAT

kessex

Submitting Application prior to MCAT

Post by kessex » Mon May 20, 2019 11:52 pm

Hello,
I am a non trad. Just finished my necessary coursework a couple of weeks ago. I am scheduled to take the MCAT Aug 3rd. I decided I had to give myself at least 2.5 months of 40+ hrs a week to best prepare for the MCAT. I have heard I can submit my entire app minus the MCAT, and attach the MCAT once I get the grade. I am nervous that this late submission (Grade should post Sept 4th) could cost me consideration at competitive schools. Should I take the MCAT a few weeks earlier (still giving myself 2 months of full time study)? I believe I have a fairly competitive application (for a Non Trad) other than the late MCAT.

Any help is appreciated!
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: Submitting Application prior to MCAT

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Wed May 22, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks for the question!

I was a non-trad myself and applied this past year and am starting in August. That said, I am certainly non a medical admissions advisor, and I'd definitely encourage you to talk to someone who does this professionally to weigh all of your options. I submitted my application in the first week of June and was generally early with everything, and ended up getting a bunch of interviews in the fall. I didn't really have any interviews in winter and spring, but I know that schools continued to interview then. Not sure what that means, but perhaps relevant.

On a second look weekend, I did meet another non-trad whose application wasn't verified until September and he was holding multiple acceptances. N=1, of course!

The advice that I've heard is that you want to apply as early as possible without sacrificing the quality of your MCAT. A medical admissions advisor will know more, but my sense is that applying early in June with a subpar MCAT score is certainly worse than applying later with a strong MCAT score. Best is applying early with a strong MCAT score, of course! If you take a practice test and are scoring reasonably near where you want to end up, two months (or less) may be okay, but in general 10-12+ weeks is advised. If you're close, though, maybe you don't need that much time. It's worth taking a practice test to see!

I hope this is at least a little helpful. Happy to answer any other questions you have, but I am only speaking from my own experience and am not an expert in these matters. I'd definitely encourage you to talk to someone who has more experience with these considerations.

Good luck!
kessex

Post by kessex » Thu May 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks. I am going to take a full length practice exam in a couple of weeks and see where I am. I am most likely going to keep everything where it is, understanding that it is not ideal.
NS_Tutor_Will

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 am

Good luck! Let us know if we can help out with anything else as you move forward!