Part-time Study Plan

Sam_S

Part-time Study Plan

Post by Sam_S » Mon May 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi,

I was curious if the part-time study plan is sufficient to cover all of the material provided by Next Step. I am taking the PCAT July 11th for an early decision application, and I can keep up with the part-time study plan with my full-time job and extracurriculars, but some days I still lag behind a little.

Basically, if I manage to cover everything that the part-time study plan lists, including optionals, will that be sufficient for a competitive score by July 11th? I am aiming for a 80-95 range percentile.

So far, I feel as though I have increased my content knowledge and test-taking abilities a little. My diagnostic exam put me at a 430 composite. It also said I was in a 97 percentile, but I have trouble believing that is completely accurate. How is the 97 percentile calculated against other students? I will be soon taking my first Full-Length when I can find the time.

Thank you,
Sam
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Part-time Study Plan

Post by Administrator » Tue May 29, 2018 6:42 am

Hi Sam_S,

That's a great question! All study plans contain the core Lesson Videos, Content Review Videos, and reading from the PCAT Review Book, regardless of how long your plan is. Those will cover the content and strategy you'll need for the PCAT, so as long as you complete these assignments, followed with quality practice and regular review, you should see your score increase! I also want to point out that you can use the blue double arrow under each day in your study plan to move assignments forward one day if you're behind on any given day, and you can also use Catch Up days to catch up on content.

It's hard to say on an individual basis how much score improvement a given student will see within that timeframe, so I recommend taking regular Full-Lengths to track your score improvements and predict how you'll fare by July 11. If you need help with tougher concepts, please come see us in Office Hours because we'd love to help!

Congrats on your Diagnostic score! The percentile rankings are calculated based on a scoring scale that mimics the distribution of scores on the real PCAT, meaning that if you scored in the 97th percentile, your score is better than 97 percent of other test-takers on that test.

Good luck on your next Full-Length! :)
Sam_S

Re: Part-time Study Plan

Post by Sam_S » Tue May 29, 2018 11:32 am

Administrator wrote:Hi Sam_S,

That's a great question! All study plans contain the core Lesson Videos, Content Review Videos, and reading from the PCAT Review Book, regardless of how long your plan is. Those will cover the content and strategy you'll need for the PCAT, so as long as you complete these assignments, followed with quality practice and regular review, you should see your score increase! I also want to point out that you can use the blue double arrow under each day in your study plan to move assignments forward one day if you're behind on any given day, and you can also use Catch Up days to catch up on content.

It's hard to say on an individual basis how much score improvement a given student will see within that timeframe, so I recommend taking regular Full-Lengths to track your score improvements and predict how you'll fare by July 11. If you need help with tougher concepts, please come see us in Office Hours because we'd love to help!

Congrats on your Diagnostic score! The percentile rankings are calculated based on a scoring scale that mimics the distribution of scores on the real PCAT, meaning that if you scored in the 97th percentile, your score is better than 97 percent of other test-takers on that test.

Good luck on your next Full-Length! :)

Thanks for the clarification!