Full Length Exams

hkgill

Full Length Exams

Post by hkgill » Thu May 31, 2018 3:38 pm

Hi! Some of the topics covered on the PCAT exam are topics that are completely new to me. I just completed my first year of university and I am taking the courses covering those topics during my second year (i'm applying to u of t second-year entry pharm program). I am following the study plan and those topics will be introduced later on during my study plan. For today's daily activity, I've been assigned a full length exam but I find that it's not useful if I complete the full length when I don't know all of the topics on it. Do you think that it's a good idea to postpone the full length exams to later on and do them when I know all the topics?
NS_Tutor_Sophia

Re: Full Length Exams

Post by NS_Tutor_Sophia » Thu May 31, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi hkgill, that's a great question! In general, it's a good idea to take your first full-length PCAT exam at the beginning of your prep so that you have a baseline score to build upon. This will help you diagnose the content areas you already know well and the areas you don't know as well, and it will also give you experience with the format and passages of the exam so you can study specifically for how the content will be tested on your exam.

One of the reasons I recommend taking your first exam as early as possible is because takes off some of the pressure, rather than taking your first exam after months of studying. In addition, it helps you build and practice reasoning skills, computer-based skills, endurance, and timing. For most of the full-length exams you take, there will likely still be content left to review, so your score should keep climbing until the end of your study plan.

At the end of the day, find a pattern that feels comfortable for you, which might mean pushing some full-length exams back and prioritizing more content review at the beginning of your schedule. In your study plan, use the blue double arrow at the bottom of any day to move assignments forward.

Hope this helps - and don't hesitate to reach out if you have other questions! :D
Sophia Stone
PCAT Content Manager
Next Step Test Prep