End of Chapter Exams

dylan.waddill

End of Chapter Exams

Post by dylan.waddill » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Hello,

I just began taking the course recently and while reading through the books I find I am spending a lot of time on each book chapter and as school is about to pick up I am not sure if this is a sustainable method to continue. Each chapter has 5 exams/problem sets and I am currently only finding time to complete one problem set per chapter, and thus far have not been putting these questions in an LLJ or repeating the problem sets as suggested in the intro video.

As I am reevaluating my study technique, would there be any advice for how to tackle all of this content in a time efficient manner (or are there particular pieces of this I should focus on)? Would it be advisable to perhaps not take notes on each chapter and just use the "must know" sheets for review?

Thank you in advance for your help.
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: End of Chapter Exams

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:52 pm

If you are pressed for time, make sure you use some or most of your remaining time for practice, and use practice to in turn hone in on things you don't seem to know enough about yet. Must-knows are also built for this sort of thing - but those are more of a skeletal outline than a real content outline. You should be able to expand on every point of a must-know list somewhat.

It can be difficult to study for the MCAT while going to school. Try to maybe integrate your MCAT material and school a little bit - so practice those portions that you're going over in class or will be tested on in class, so that you're knocking out two tasks at once (studying for class and studying for the MCAT). And realistically, you will have to start structuring your days fairly strictly to maintain to budget time between school and MCAT prep without burning out - and this may mean also cutting back on social activities, or any sort of job or volunteering that is not strictly necessary. This can of course be difficult depending on your economic circumstances.

And you are right: I generally discourage complete note-taking. Even the LLJ wants you to only really put down things that are either news to you, or just seem important enough that you want to go out of your way to make a reminder. I would also strongly recommend working through Anki decks for topics you have covered (maybe even some you are only vaguely familiar with) to stay fresh on the terminology. Spaced repetition approaches can be very helpful to keeping all the content in your head over the long haul towards taking your MCAT.