NS Test vs AAMC Test.

tmays

NS Test vs AAMC Test.

Post by tmays » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi,

I have taken a few of the Next Step full length tests and now I am comparing myself to the AAMC practice full lengths. I just got done with an AAMC test, exam 3 in particular, and I am confused and concerned. My score was lower than my Nest Step tests, yet I got more question right on my recent AAMC test. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Getting more question right is an improvement, but I can't help but feel disappointed about a low score.

Thanks for your support!

Tyler
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: NS Test vs AAMC Test.

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks for the question!

This in itself is definitely not a cause for concern. The MCAT is scored using percentile rankings, so your scaled score will definitely vary with respect to the number of questions correct/incorrect. For example, on a particularly tough C/P section, perhaps you need to get 30/59 for a 125, but on an easier one you need to get 36/59 for a 125. To determine what number is a 125, the AAMC (and Next Step, when we do our tests) will figure out where the median is (50th percentile) and set that equal to 125.

Here's another explanation from another tutor that might be helpful:
In general, your percentile rankings are better indicators than are your scaled scores, and the reason for this is that a [500] on one [MCAT] might be one percentile, and a [500] on another [MCAT] might be a completely different percentile based on how all test takers performed. So you can use your percentile ranks to determine where you fall on the curve - if your score is 70th percentile, for example, that means you did better than 70 percent of all test-takers on that test version.
The AAMC tests tend to be easier on the whole in terms of the number of questions you can expect to get correct, but their scaling system is the same one NS uses.

I hope this helps!
tmays

Post by tmays » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Thank you Will for your response.

I was concerned at first because I made great improvements with the Next Step exams, then the AAMC exam made me rethink about my performance over all. To move forward, I want to focus on the statistics of the tests and improve my weak areas.

Thanks for the support!

Tyler
NS_Tutor_Will

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:02 am

You are welcome! I think that sounds like a great plan.

Good luck!