NS FL4 P/S Q38

dtufano

NS FL4 P/S Q38

Post by dtufano » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:33 pm

I have a question about questions like this, where we have to determine the outcome of another scenario based on study results. Mainly, I'm having trouble discerning when study results are significant enough to explain other situations or when we have to say the study cannot suggest an outcome for an outside situation. In this case, if the question stem didn't include the word "likely", and just wanted us to confirm what the outcome of this other scenario would be, would we choose choice A?
NS_Tutor_Will

Re: NS FL4 P/S Q38

Post by NS_Tutor_Will » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:02 am

I think that's a good way to think about it. If we're being asked what we'd predict, or might expect, or what is likely to happen, etc., then it's reasonable to make a prediction based on the data we have. If they're asking what will happen or even about a specific person in a specific environment, we probably can't say with certainty. The fact that you're paying attention to how the question is worded is the important part. If the question asks for clear conclusions, then we better be in the scope of what the study actually looked at! If the question asks for speculation, expectations, guesses, etc., then it is fair to apply the data and see what may or may not be the case.

Good question!