NS FL2 P/S Q11

NS_Tutor_Thomas

NS FL2 P/S Q11

Post by NS_Tutor_Thomas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:16 pm

A student recently wrote us: "I think this is a very culturally-biased question. If you use process of elimination, you would end up choosing the correct answer, but this question is assuming that you live in a culture where seeking medical attention is a MUST or otherwise you will be shunned from your family. However, there are several cultures out there, especially immigrants in the U.S. that don't trust doctors, for many reasons. One, they don't think that the doctors will meet their needs due to language and cultural barriers, and two, they might come from a country where western medicine is not the number one option. So in reality, it would be more folkway because yes, maybe I was a first-generation daughter would be disappointed if my mom didn't go get her mammogram, but I would not shun her, nor would their be serious societal or interpersonal consequences. In other words, I don't think health behaviors is a clear example of mores as it leaves room for discrepancies based on different culture's interpretations."

I am sympathetic to all of the points that you made in terms of how perceptions of healthcare are dependent on the culture one is a part of. However, thinking about the question in this way misses what the question is actually asking the student. Certainly, an argument could be made for all of these answer choices as being involved in healthcare behavior. Nevertheless, this question wants the student to identify which answer choice is most directly involved with healthcare not the only correct answer choice. It seems that you used the correct logic to answer the question despite the above concern about the question.

Thanks for your question. I hope this helps!