108 CARS Passages (Section2, Passage4, Q20, P49)

diana1998l

108 CARS Passages (Section2, Passage4, Q20, P49)

Post by diana1998l » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with question 20 from passage 4 of section 2 of the 108 CARS passages book (it's on page 49). The correct answer is listed as option B, which I understand. However, the explanation for option C is listed simply as "These are all ideas or themes that can be directly inferred from passage information".
If I could have inferred it directly from the passage information, then I would not have chosen it as an answer option, and so would not be looking at the passage explanation. So I find this explanation to be somewhat unhelpful.
Is anyone able to explain exactly where in the passage the author says "Those who realize the harm that can be done to others by any use of force will be very full of respect for the liberty of others"?
To me, it seems more that the author is saying those who realize the harm that can be done to others through use of force has no effect on their using it--if they have primarily creative impulses, then force cannot be used as an ends to their means, even if they have no regard for others; and conversely, if they have possessive impulses, they are more likely to use force, perhaps because of the effect it has on others--that effect being that the other loses whatever it is that the person with the possessive impulse seeks to steal.
Thank you in advance for your help!
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: 108 CARS Passages (Section2, Passage4, Q20, P49)

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 pm

Hey there, I'm always happy to help!

You are right that the explanation isn't the most helpful possible, possibly even a tiny bit inconsistent.

This is a question asking about which statements the author would (or might) agree with and which he would CERTAINLY not.

In answer choice C, we are given some hypothetical situation ("Those who realize the harm...") and an outcome. While we don't know how the author would view the hypothetical portion (maybe he or she* feels differently about human psychology?) we do know that the passage talks in several instances about respect and about respect for the liberty of others and that the author strongly approves of this value. It stands to reason that the author might approve of this hypothetical situation in which the same outcome is achieved.

Keep in mind that authors can agree with things outside of their core argument. You do not need a perfect overlap - what you are looking for is largely a lack of contradiction. Or in the case of the answer choice itself, evidence of a direct contradiction, as we have here (universal vs individual ideals).

* While I try not to be presumptive about the author's gender, this looks like Quaker literature, and from historical context is fairly likely to have been written by a man.
diana1998l

Re: 108 CARS Passages (Section2, Passage4, Q20, P49)

Post by diana1998l » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks for the help! That makes a lot more sense now :)