Biochemistry Page 185, Q1

premed777

Biochemistry Page 185, Q1

Post by premed777 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:51 pm

It makes no sense to me. Chapter 8, practice passage, question 1. Choices a and b are clearly wrong. I understand the logic for why c is correct, but to me, d clearly seems like the best answer. I have wasted an hour trying to figure this out. The explanation offered for choice d seems to be the exact opposite of what is actually happening. Please clarify this for me. This is very frustrating.
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: Biochemistry Page 185, Q1

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:27 pm

You are on the money here. The explanation provided for D is indeed the opposite of what is happening, and I suspect this is an error on our part. While lacking a positive control for a simple assay such as this (for example glucose + glycolysis inhibitor) is a little unusual, we do have a perfectly viable negative control group (glucose only) and so D is something that can safely be said to be occurring.

You can view the original paper here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3132848/

It looks to me like both translation of the graph (fold invasion normalized to an invisible control rather than the definition given in the paper) and part of the writing of the answer choices suffer from some trouble.

I do believe this passage is currently being reworked, in part because of small issues such as this.