Gen Chem End of Chapter Qs

Rar91

Gen Chem End of Chapter Qs

Post by Rar91 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Hello,

I was wondering how much time should I use when completing the passage and questions? What is recommended so that I practice as close to the exam as possible. Thank you! :D
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: Gen Chem End of Chapter Qs

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 pm

At the risk of being glib: As long as it takes you. I would not recommend attempting to simulate the exam at every step - you want to first become confident in your content knowledge and problem-solving skills, and only then check in and see if maybe you need to tighten up your timing some.

For reference, real C&P has 59 questions in 95 minutes, so you have on average about 96.6 seconds per question or 676.3 seconds per 7-question EoC passage, which translates to about 11 minutes and 16 seconds. I feel it is strongly self-defeating to practice passages timed though. You are under no obligation to use even amounts of time for every question or passage, and very likely will not. Many discrete questions can be answered under 15 seconds, while some passages can involve written calculations, checking, note-taking for pathways or any other time-consuming exercise.

Additionally, the main challenge for students in pacing for the MCAT is exactly that: Maintaining section timing overall, rather than individual question timing, and maintaining stamina through the entire duration, which is up to 7.5 hours.
Rar91

Re: Gen Chem End of Chapter Qs

Post by Rar91 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Thank you so much!

You have no idea how much your detailed explanation and kind words have helped me. I was really struggling but now I will only focus on doing it right and then adjust my timing. It sounds so simple but sometimes when you get in your head you begin to psych yourself out and you cannot see clear solutions with the stress of studying. You just made the rest of this journey a little smoother, I am very thankful.