What Exam To Start With Issue

drsmithdpt

What Exam To Start With Issue

Post by drsmithdpt » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:18 pm

So I'm a DPT applying to DO this cycle first MCAT didn't go as well as planned. But I used the dx and a few NS FL to prep for that one before purchasing the course. Since I already took the dx... Would it be better to take an NSFL I haven't taken yet instead? Or should I retake the Dx.....

Thank You
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: What Exam To Start With Issue

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:49 pm

Depending on how soon you are taking your next MCAT and how ready you feel, I would not suggest immediately taking full-length exams at all. They are just a little too long to extract lessons from and learn incrementally as you start.

We have an extensive bank of full lengths (10, plus the diagnostics). If you are just getting back into the swing of things and really just want to hammer some stuff out, I would recommend the science diagnostic. After that, consider taking sections of full-lengths untimed until you feel your content review and test-taking skills are on point. Once you're feeling good, that would be a great time to start taking 1-2 full length exams per week. I also usually don't recommend attempting to take all 10 of our full length exams in realistic conditions as full-length exams - the time investment would be enormous (~70 hours plus ~140-250 hours review time) and the payoff may be outweighed by the opportunity cost. I do however strongly recommend making use of their individual sections, and taking maybe 1 to 4 of our full-length exams as simulated real exams.

As for whether to re-take any that you've previously seen: There isn't too much of a downside. As a self-assessment they will be slightly skewed, and I would recommend doing novel materials first to avoid feeling overconfident and falling into the trap of engaging only superficially with material. On a second review or encounter, it can be tempting to settle for solving the problem as is given rather than understanding the material.

Best of luck!