Class Video Quizes and Practice Passages

heflicra000

Class Video Quizes and Practice Passages

Post by heflicra000 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:33 pm

As I'm going through class videos, end of chapter passages, and CR review videos I've noticed a very large trend in which material that WAS NOT covered is being tested on. I can see how this can be useful, but the extent at which this is happening is rather frustrating. Again, I can see how that can be useful, but sometimes I really want to practice what I just learned and the practice passage or quiz in the class videos will present me with information that I did not just go over. For example, a student will watch and fill in notes for 38 minutes in Class Video Lesson #8 and all five questions on the first quiz is on material that was not discussed at all in those first 38 minutes. Also, in Class Video Lesson #6 we learn about isomers, which explained wonderfully and then the quiz presents you with different subcategories of isomers that was not presented at all in the lesson.

Overall, I'm very happy I purchased this course and I'm really just looking for additional information that might help me understand this decision to test students on material in the practice passage or quiz that WAS NOT covered in the chapter or class video, respectively. NextStep has been a great resource for me and I would (and plan) on recommending it to friends.

Thank you in advance for any clarity you can provide. I'm learning a lot and I'm happy I purchased this course.

Happy thanksgiving
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: Class Video Quizes and Practice Passages

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:44 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

I'm not privy to every strategic decision that went into each quiz, but in part these sorts of inconsistencies arise from the fact that the material covered is sometimes less comprehensive than we intended - over the years, the scope of the test creeps a little upwards, or gaps come to our attention. We try to make sure our students are exposed to any and all MCAT-relevant content, so these additions may creep in under the quizzes. This is a very likely source for a lot of quiz-to-video mismatches.

That said, we do have other subject-specific resources that can help you practice a particular sub-topic: The question banks and the end-of-chapter exams. While not quite as narrowly targetted as the post-video quizzes should be, they definitely cover a rather narrow range and can get you practice on the exact subject you are working on.

Finally, if any quizzes seem bizarrely misaligned, let us know here - that may be a case of the information technology backend having troubles, rather than our materials.