Psych Qbank 2

bbiebelberg

Psych Qbank 2

Post by bbiebelberg » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Hello!

Question 5 asks "An individual is in the process of learning a skill that is in his “zone of proximal development.” According to Vygotsky, to best continue mastering the skill, the person needs..." I cannot find in the Psych & Soc book anything about zone of proximal development or Vygotsky. Could you point me in the right direction?
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: Psych Qbank 2

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:42 am

Page 125, section 4:
Up to November 2019 wrote:The Soviet psychologist Lev Vygotsky believed that identity development was inextricably tied to cognitive
development, and that the main force behind cognitive development was the internalization of culture. So, as a
child develops, she internalizes various elements of her culture (laws, language, custom, and etc.) and she develops
cognitively, and therefore, her identity develops.
One of Vygotsky’s most well known ideas is the zone of proximal development. Skills that have not yet been
developed fully, but are undergoing development, are said to be in the zone of proximal development. In order
for a skill to move from the zone to being fully developed, a developing child typically needs the help of a more
knowledgeable other (for example, a parent or a teacher).
This is from our older books.
After November 2019 wrote: As a final note, it’s worth mentioning a few researchers whose work bridged the domains of personality, learning,
and identity. A researcher named George Herbert Mead, who was also a founder of the school of symbolic
interaction in sociology, proposed that our psychological development involves an interplay between the “I”, or our
internal selves, and the “me”, or the version oat like Freud’s superego, but with a greater emphasis on input
from others on one’s identity as a whole and less of a strict emphasis on “should.” The Russian psychologist Lev
Vygotsky also emphasized the role of the other in personal development, focusing on how the “more knowledgeable
other” could help a child develop new skf ourselves that the environment reflects back at us. This has some
overlap with psychoanalytical approaches that emphasize the id and superego, as the “I” is like Freud’s ego, with
some influence from the id, and the “me” is somewhills. In Vygotsky’s thought, new skills that are in the process of development
constitute a child’s zone of proximal development. On one hand, Vygotsky’s focus on cognition provides a closer
parallel with Piaget than with the theorists who focused primarily on personality, but Vygotsky’s approach also
places an important emphasis on the role of others in how a child’s sense of self is shaped, providing a useful bridge
between these ways of looking at development.
And this is from our most recent edition.

(These are straight copy/pastes from the *.pdfs, which sometimes creates missing characters on pasting to the forums. These do not reflect errors in the printed materials.)
bbiebelberg

Re: Psych Qbank 2

Post by bbiebelberg » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:11 am

Thank you, Mathias!