Switched Mcat 5/15 to 6/19

Jason.m.Singh

Switched Mcat 5/15 to 6/19

Post by Jason.m.Singh » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Due to the Covid-19 situation and some research I just thought that the Mcat will be happening in my area by 5/15
What are some effective ways to avoid the burnout? This feels odd to ask but this delay has affected my current study plan
As a non-traditional applicant I am hoping for some kind of delay for applications. If not will there be a huge impact on my chances for this cycle?
I imagine many of us have fallen in the same boat and would love to hear some feedback!
NS_Tutor_Mathias

Re: Switched Mcat 5/15 to 6/19

Post by NS_Tutor_Mathias » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:16 pm

You can submit on time and have your application verified before submitting your MCAT, FYI.

Additionally, the AAMC has released statements that they are aware and online classes won't impact your chances. Odds are good some accommodation for the application cycle is in the works too, but this may take close to the last minute (May 1st) to be communicated. They are after all a fairly large and bureaucratic institution. I would however trust them to put a strong effort into maintaining a fair cycle for this year.

So far one recommendation has been to think about how the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak has shaped your thoughts about entering medicine - indicating that the AAMC or schools themselves would like to integrate this event and the cataclysmic societal effects it is bound to have into the application cycle. While the cynical advice may be to avoid 'overplayed' topics and replies (putting this down as your main challenge in life may, depending on the level of impact on you, indeed reflect poorly), your time could be well spent collecting your thoughts on this and how we got here.

As for burnout:
Make sure to include some spaced repetition and a good bit of practice from all fields in your practice at least 4-5 days a week. But other than that, first schedule a few days to take it easy. Then maybe spend one day just printing out the content outline and highlighting areas you feel you could use the most work. While you're at it, printout the miledown *.pdf study guide. Then set out a new study plan that still includes the AAMC materials at roughly the same time, and use our additional materials and Khan Academy to supplement some. Think of this as sort of an opportunity: In the everyday grind you lose sight of the big picture a bit. Take a deep breath. See how far you've gotten. Organize yourself a bit, make a list of things you've been doing and which ones you feel have been working and which have just been a slog. Take her real easy for a while. And then get back to studying.

Also, vitamin D3 and regular exercise will be more important now than ever to maintain your sanity and motivation, so definitely plan those into your daily routine. Many people rely on some degree of face-to-face social interaction to stay energized and that simply may not be possible right now.

If you feel you need some direct support, I am happy to reach out to an academic manager and have them contact you too.