Official Prep Chemistry Question Pack

kleshchuk

Official Prep Chemistry Question Pack

Post by kleshchuk » Sat May 23, 2020 12:30 pm

12. I don't understand how they were able to do their estimations.
14. I understand that when electron go from lower energy orbitals to higher energy orbitals they absorb energy. I am confused how that causes nickel-ions to be green.

21. I was able to get rid of PNP and Mg2+. It tells us in the beginning of the passage that those are catalysts as a result they cannot be consumed. Meaning they will not affect the yield of polymer. I am confused with there reasoning why water can't affect the yield of polymer. It says the affect would decrease the concentration of reactants. Thus, slowing down the rate of the reaction.

Also, in there explanation they say that in experiment 2 the stress was to remove product by precipitation. This would cause the system to increase product to counteract that action. I understand the basics of LeChatelier's Principle, but I am confused how it works with the manganese sulfate. How does it actually remove more product?

23. I am confused how they got the relationship between concentration of polymer and hydrogen phosphate.
30. When looking at the ionization energy trend, I thought that it would not affect noble gases because they have a full octet.
40. Why is hydrogen considered a nonmetal?
48. I understand the assumptions that are made with the ideal gas law. Unless I misunderstood, there seems to be a connection made that the more stable the molecule is the more the molecules deviate from the ideal gas law. Also, it says room temperature. The standard temperature based on the ideal gas law is 0 degrees Celsius.
50. In a hydrolysis reaction, water is added to break up molecules. How is no2- reacting with water yielding HNO2 and oh- a hydrolysis reaction? I understand that if you add more OH- in a solution it will become more basic. I also understand that NO2- will pick up a hydrogen atom. I just don't understand why they used the term hydrolyze, when it is not a hydrolysis reaction.
52. I was able to cross out molecular weight and solubility in water. I ended up choosing dipole moment, but I just wanted to know if there is any relationship between dielectric constants and dipole moments that I should be aware of.