NS FL 10 P/S Q32

srking3221@gmail.com

NS FL 10 P/S Q32

Post by srking3221@gmail.com » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Hi,
So I thought I understood the difference between availability and representative heuristic and could have sworn that this question was describing a representative heuristic based on GERD being representative of the other diseases. And then I the explanation defined representative heuristic as availability, because I thought availability is when you over-estimate likelihood of something happening based on available information. Just want more clarity on this. Thanks!
NS_Tutor_Nancy

Re: NS FL 10 P/S Q32

Post by NS_Tutor_Nancy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:20 pm

Hello!

The availability heuristic is when we make a judgement on how likely something is based on how easy it is for something to come to mind. The representative heuristic has to do with making judgements based on comparisons to internalized ideas/stereotypes, sort of what is considered the "standard". Here the representative heuristic works best because the group heard the diagnosis of GERD, compared this to other serious diseases they knew and saw GERD as fitting in this same category. They used this categorization to decide on medication. The availability heuristic would be like if you were watching a tv program and 3 commercials about GERD medications came on while watching. Then someone asked you how prevalent GERD is in infants, you might guess a higher percent.

Hope this helps!